Sunday, October 25, 2009

Caroline Elizabeth Blair's Arrival

Thursday October 15th....The day that changed my life.

Well after a trip to Wal-Mart and a lengthy discussion with my best friend Ellen over my fears of how I would know whether or not I was in labor (I feared being "that" girl that went to Labor & Delivery only to be turned away because she was in fact NOT in labor) I returned home to put away my groceries and get some things done around the house before Kyle got home from work.

As I was upstairs putting away laundry my water broke at 5:40. At first I wasn't sure but then I became certain that my water had indeed broken. I went downstairs and told Kyle and we packed the car up and started making the journey to the hospital. On the way to the hospital we made all of the necessary phone calls and I urged everyone to remain in their respective homes as I wasn't sure that my water had broken or how long the process would take...I guess that was my attorney CYA skills coming into play.

When we arrived at the hospital the triage nurse examined me and I was 4 centimeters dilated and she confirmed that my water had indeed broken so I was going to be admitted. OK so I have to admit that I started to freak out a little bit...Kyle and I had quit our birthing class and I was just a little concerned that I was unprepared. But no fears my nerves were calmed by watching Community and Parks and Recreation.

Well we arrived at our room (which was incredibly nice) and started watching TV. I have to admit that going into labor on a Thursday night was a pretty good many choices of what to watch on TV while waiting for the blood tests to come back so that I could get my epidural. Once the results came back I received the epidural, the whole time I had to listen to how Sheryl, my nurse, had birthed 8 children and done so every single time sans epidural and how there were advantages to "natural" child birth. I simply explained to Sheryl that a natural child birth might have worked for her but that I was going to have this little girl numb from the waist down! Around 9:30 or 10:00 Sheryl came to check on me and see how things were going. She had already told Kyle and myself that it would probably take 6-12 hours for Caroline to make her debut so that we should get some sleep and then expect her to arrive in the early morning. So she began her exam and stated that I was 7 centimeters dilated...much further than she had expected I would be. I was super proud of my progress! Then she looked at me and uttered words that a mother in labor would never want to hear..."Something isn't right." I urged her, in my most pleasant tone, to explain further what she meant. She explained that she felt feet! Now let me regress here and explain that the day before I had been at my doctor's office and he examined me and noted that I was 4 centimeters and that Caroline was still head down and also that the triage nurse had failed to mention that she was feet first. The nurse then made a hurried phone call to the on call physician for my doctor's group. I was then wheeled into the OR and was prepped for an emergency C Section. Kyle was great and never once did I see him get flustered or even react as if this situation was anything but normal. I really don't think that I would have remained as calm as I did if he had not of been so wonderful. I am truly blessed with an amazing husband.

So in the OR the C Section was underway and I really wasn't feeling a single thing, thanks to the most amazing anesthesiologist...he just kept pumping me full of the good stuff. After what seemed to me to be 5 minutes I heard the most amazing sound little girl crying/screaming! I never thought that I would be one of those moms but the moment that I heard that sound tears started streaming down my face.

She was taken over to start the examination by the NICU, they were there since it was considered an emergency C Section. She scored a 9 out of 1o on her APGAR testing. I obviously haven't stopped bragging about how advanced my daughter is! And everything else was perfect...6lbs. 9 oz. Kyle followed her back to the labor and delivery room where the grandparents where waiting with lots of hugs and kisses.

Since my paparazzi mother wasn't there before we went into surgery we don't have any funny photos of Kyle dressed up in his scrubs or me sitting there waiting for the process to begin. I have included some of the pictures that I have. Don't worry there is nothing that is gross...only pictures of my sweet sweet daughter.

The first time I got to see my beautiful little girl.

The proud father.

All of the beautiful flowers from family and friends.

Kyle and I have the most amazing family and friends.

Caroline has been a blessing to our lives and Kyle and I are constantly reminded of how enriched our lives have become as result of being her parents. She is the most amazing gift I have ever received and I will thank God for her with my every breath.

We can't wait for everyone to come and meet her. I just know that you will fall head over heels for her just like me!


melissa said...

My face is covered in tears!!! Happy ones of course!
We are so happy for you and Kyle!

Robinson Family said...

Okay, now you have me in tears! How amazing! and Caroline is just perfect!

Norm said...

I can't believe you cried, loser. I'M KIDDING!!! I'm so happy for you and proud that you were gonna get that epidural no matter what that nurse told you. I love you both!!!

Lindsey said...

Congrats! She is beautiful!

Paul and Leslie said...

So happy for you three! I wish I could have been there to give her those APGARs (I may have even considered giving her a 10...we joke that only the children of Obstetricians get 10's, though). Can't wait to meet her.

hungeryjack said...

Nice post - pictures of labor and delivery ..Keep Posting

pictures of labor and delivery

Let The Tide Pull Your Dreams Ashore said...

Congrats! xx