BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS

Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Pies and Cakes Oh My!

Last week I was quite the busy bee! I had family coming in town to celebrate Easter...a little late I know. I was determined to make fabulous desserts since they were going to cook all of the food. I made a Double Strawberry Pie for lunch and a Buttered Rum Pound Cake with Bananas Fosters Sauce! It was wonderful...and everyone thought so too!

After many requests I have broken down plan on sharing my recipe for strawberry goodness!
Double Strawberry Pie
Ingredients
4 cups frozen unsweetened strawberries, partially thawed in refrigerator
3/4 cups sugar
4 tablespoons cornstarch
1 box (11 ounce) piecrust mix Betty Crocker
1/3 cup strawberry nectar, chilled
All purpose flour, for dusting
1 egg beaten with 1 tablespoon water
Sugar

1. Preheat oven and a baking sheet to 450 degrees F. Place strawberries in a large bowl. Sift the 3/4 cup sugar and the cornstarch over the partially thawed strawberries. Stir to combine; set filling aside.
2. In a medium bowl, combine crust mix and strawberry nectar. Stir until soft dough forms. Divide into 2 pieces, form balls, and flatten into disks. On a flour-dusted surface, roll 1 of the disks 1 1/2 inches larger than an inverted 9 inch pie plate. Fold rolled dough in half, place in pie plate, and unfold. Press dough into plate but do not stretch. Trim dough 1/2 inch from edge of plate.

3. Roll out second disk and fold in half. Pour filling into bottom crust. Place top crust over filling and unfold. Press along rim to seal and trim edges. Press fork into edges or crimp to make decorative edge. Cut vent slits in top crust or punch center with small decorative cutter. Brush crust with beaten egg mixture. Sprinkle with sugar.

4. Place pie on preheated baking sheet in oven. Bake for 10 minutes. Reduce heat to 350 degrees F; continue baking for 50 to 60 minutes or until filling is bubbly and crust is golden brown. Cool completely before cutting.

I have also included pictures from the makig of the Buttered Rum Pound Cake.
EAT YOUR HEART OUT! I'm a domestic DIVA!










1 comments:

Jennifer Kirby said...

Hey! Do you have Spode Blue Italian pattern dishes? I noticed in one of the pictures above. If it is, I have the same pattern! :-)